The calendar documents the community events I facilitated at The Project Room during my residency (July 14 – September 2, 2011) including weekly community crochet parties, Open Studio hours and a variety of guest artist events and activities.
- July 14th, Thursday, Community Crochet Party, 5 – 8pm, to coincide with Blitz Capital Hill Arts Walk
- July 19th, Tuesday, Community Crochet Party, 3:30 – 7:30pm
- July 22nd, Friday, Solstenen Guest Artist Event, 6 – 9pm; Join Mandy in conversation with ‘Defornament’ artists Ellen Garvens, Derrick Jefferies, and Amanda Manitach for an artists talk and hands-on ‘show and tell’. Also welcome Sharon Arnold’s newest edition of LxWxH
- July 26th, Tuesday, Community Crochet Party, 3:30 – 7:30pm
- August 2nd, Tuesday, Community Crochet Party, 3:30 – 7:30pm
- August 6th, Saturday, Solstenen Guest Artist Event, 11 am -3 pm : Join Mandy in a Learning Demo in “low-tech/low water dyeing” from fabric artist and dyeing genius Cameron Anne Mason
- August 7th, Sunday, Solstenen Guest Artist Event, 1pm – 3 pm-ish: Join Mandy in a ’round table’ chat (with pie) about “Artists Who Interview” with Joey Veltkamp, Saskia Delores, Tessa Hulls, Sharon Arnold and Amanda Manitach
- August 9th, Tuesday, Community Crochet Party, 3:30 – 7:30pm
- August 11th, Thursday, Solstenen Guest Artist Event and Community Crochet, 5 – 8pm; drop in during Blitz Capital Hill Arts Walk for crocheting, and at 6pm join artist Cameron Anne Mason for a talk on the how and why she creates pattern in fabric
- August 13th, Saturday, Join Solstenen off-site for Community Crochet at the Lo-Fi Arts Festival-”Not to Scale”, Smoke Farm, Arlington Washington
- August 15-20th, Guest Artist Working, Amanda Manitach will be working in the studio with Mandy, using The Project Room’s large lovely walls for drawing, and other things! Amanda’s hours: M, T, Th. – S; 12 -5 pm
- August 16th, Tuesday, Community Crochet Party, 3:30 - 6:00 pm. Please note the time change
- August 19th, Friday, Guest Artist Event, 4 – 5:30pm; Conversation with multi-media, movement and dance artist Keely Isaak Meehan, artistic director of ‘Manifold Motion’, about her work and being a Certified Movement Analyst using Laban/Bartenieff & Somatic Studies
- August 23rd, Tuesday, Community Crochet Party, 3:30 – 7:30pm
- August 24th, Wednesday, Guest Artist Event, 6pm – 10pm; MAN NIGHT Crochet! Hosted by Paul Margolis (who taught me to crochet for real), retired UW Ceramic Tech Master Dick Law, and gentleman fiber artist and art collector Robert Andrew Shavin . Men teaching men to not fear the hook, the needle, the yarn, the thread. Novices encouraged! Bringing your own projects encouraged as well!
- August 25nd, Thursday – Sept. 2, Friday, Guest Artist Installation, on-going – please drop by; Vis-a-Vis Society’s Sierra Nelson, Interactive Rune Poetry installation “Runasafn / Rune Library”. Poems written during a residency in Iceland, Sierra shares them by having you choose a rune stone which corresponds to a poem, you fill out a library card and take your poem home.
- August 27th, Saturday: Guest Artist Event, 6 – 9pm; Artist and Lo-Fi Festival curator Anne Blackburn Artist Talk and hands-on demo of book-carving for her environmental installations. Photos and films from her two-year installation of human-made shelf fungus.
- August 29th, Monday, Guest Artist Event, 11 am – 2pm; Mini-residency with Wood Sculptor/Jeweler and sweets enthusiast Julia Harrison, sharing with me some techniques to carve wood shoes! Then at 5 – 6:30pm; Julia does a show and tell of works-in-process, images and conversation…and special treats!
- August 30th, Tuesday, Community Crochet Party, 3:30 – 7:30pm. Guest Artist Event, 5 – 7:30 pm; During Solstenen’s final crochet party Erin Shafkind’s community project ‘Department of Artistic Licensing’ comes back for an encore!
- August 31, Wednesday, Guest Artist Event, 6 – 8 pm; Poet, text-based artist and ‘data-Dadaist’ Sierra Nelson comes in for ‘show and tell’ and conversation about her own journey to Iceland for the SIMS artist residency. She’ll share her interactive surveys on ‘sending and receiving’ and photography of forgotten intimate spaces of Reykjavic. And we’ll be making Icelandic pancakes!